Saturday 30 June 2007

village life [short story] FROM 2007 you may of missed this one

Look see the old lady as she walks the narrow path along the village street,
As the cars go rushing by , thirty miles an hour it reads on the sign
The wild life lays dead at the kerb side, proof that no-one reads the sign,
All her life she watched the village change, many friends have passed away
Her cottage down by the stream is falling into disrepair ,she has nowhere
Else to go, her husband lays in the churchyard here .
The planners came to see her, would you sell some land we like to build
A house or two next door to you , the plans she did see very nice they looked too
And the builders would do some repairs for you.

The deal was done the moneys in the bank , the builders move in.
On returning from the church, machinery is ripping the garden to shreds
She shouts and cries all at the same time but no-one hears above the noise
Flowerbeds and boundary fence the old apple tree comes crashing down,
With no concern for her distress, the builder explains that she sign all
This away I’ll show you the plans to her horror she reads twenty two
houses and all next door to me.

The dream cottage down by the stream is now for sale , the repairs were
not done well and her life became a living hell .
The new home owners did not care for village life as they race around
In fancy cars, the children show no respect for the anyone
And they just pass her by without a word as she lays in the churchyard.

5 comments:

Wanda said...

This is a remarkable short story. I loved it. You touched a lot of issues and emotions in those few paragraphs.

I'm not sure how I found you blog, but I'm glad I did.... I'll be back to read your previous posts.

fotoface said...

wanda
I welcome you to my blog
just pop in when ever your at a loose
end and then you'll be forever a cyber friend.

thanks for comment

Annie Wicking said...

That's amazing! How wonderful Old Git, I love it.

More Please More!

Best wishes

Annie

Janice Thomson said...

I have seen this happen before in Vancouver where hundreds of old people were ousted so new accommodations could be made for the tourists visiting when the Olympic games were on. It was such a tragic event. Many of us boycotted the games for this reason. You have spelled out this kind of tragedy in your amazing poem with exceeding poignancy. Thank you Old Git.

fotoface said...

hi janice
there a lot of garden grabbing going
on here, because shortage of housing "I THINK" its greed because
the house they build an't cheap

The Old Git

The Old Git
The pigeon wild, not tame he seem to like me

The Number of visitors I've welcome to my blog